WCB clearance status indicates whether a company is in good standing, which means the company has coverage, has met payroll reporting requirements, and has no outstanding balance.
In order to fully understand the concerns raised, and ensure we get the process right, we are extending paper clearance letters further until December 31, 2019. Click here to read more.
Here’s what the new clearance process will mean for you:
- Check real-time clearance status online at any time.
- Track and report hiring contractors online. (This replaces the annual subcontractor report, which will be phased out.)
- View and pay your corresponding premium charges directly through CRA.
- If you are unable to access MyAccount, contact us, and we will verify a contractor’s status for you.
- If you need to demonstrate that you have WCB insurance (which is different from clearance status) to someone without MyAccount access, contact us.
If, as the principal contractor, you hire subcontractors, it's important to make sure you check and track clearance status. If a contractor does not have WCB coverage, you are responsible for them and are required to pay premiums based on the labour amount of the contract. Any injuries sustained by them on your job site will become part of your injury history with WCB Nova Scotia.
When you hire a contractor who is in “clear” status, it means your experience rating won’t be impacted if they have a claim during the contract. It also means you don’t pay WCB premiums on their labour.
If they have an account, but are not in good standing, you, as the principal contractor, are still liable to pay premiums for them based on the labour amount you've agreed to pay them.
How to check clearance status
The quickest and easiest way to check clearance status is through MyAccount - our convenient, 24/7 online service for employers like you, including up-to-the-minute tracking of claims and prevention information.
By using MyAccount, you can automatically track the status of your contractors, and you will be notified if the status of one of those contractors changes.
To find details on using MyAccount to check and track clearance status, visit our Online Support site.